12 October 2006
Question & Answer Sessions
- So ... where _are_ we meeting next month?
- "I don't know. I'll ask." -- Gabe
"TI 224." -- Paul
- Where's MJO?
- Under the weather. Fighting off the Black Death. Valiantly.
- Jobs -- got 'em? Want to share?
- Ford still has a College Graduate program. Try taking a couple
courses and graduating again.
- Is it still possible for a consumer to run their own mail server?
- Depends on your ISP, most likely. Make sure your DNS is correct.
Make sure your IP is not in the DSL pool; if it's on that list, many
other networks will reject mail from you.
Speakeasy is good to deal with on this.
- VPN question: the target moves around, but there is a stable ssh box -- is
there a way to set up a sort of dial-back kinda VPN connection?
- OpenVPN should provide a way of handling this. (Open an ssh
session, start OpenVPN remotely, etc.)
- Current router recommendations? (Wondering about the WRT54GLx.)
- Go ahead and get one. It's fairly solid.
General info about which models are current at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G (for what that's worth).
- How can one tell what process(es) are keeping a device busy?
- lsof - list open files
Next month, we hope.
Rumor & Innuendo (No names, please)
Ford is ... uh ... oh, never mind.