13 April 2006
Question & Answer Sessions
- Anyone have much experience with 1U servers?
- OpenVPN -- anybody running it?
- "Works great -- what do you want to know? I'm running it now."
Set-up is a pain; start with static keys and go from there.
- Security aspects of EAL4 and Orange Book?
- [covered during the presentation]
- Why HP dat drive with a bad tape is not producing any CRC errors, even
thought the data is obviously corrupt? (Windows environment)
- Not really sure what's going on here.
Try some third-party backup software, perhaps.
- What do people think of A/V conferencing at SEMiSLUG?
- Eh ... maybe. If there's no other option and if they're comfortable
with the medium.
- If you've got 'em, post 'em. If you want 'em, ask.
- Ruby caveats and book suggestions?
- Ruby is pretty darned good, says Cliff. 'Nuf said?
- WINE -- does it come with Novell/SuSE?
- BSD ... the disk system hangs because of ... X ... not sure why.
Free/Net/BSDI, nothing happens on the console, but nothing is being
written to disk. How do you debug this?
- Hmmm ... you got me.
Novell & Linux
BrainShare -- annual "what's cool, what's happenin'" conference
Linux: A year of progress
Linux is mainstream at the enterprise server
Linux grouwing at the desktop
ISV support continues to grow at a rapid pace
The new industry platforms:
- Firefox browser
- Service Oriented Architectures
The Tide is Rising
lots and lots of new Linux boxes going into lots of companies
Novell's doing a lot of innovation in the Linux world -- many platforms,
early adoption of 2.6 and journaling file system, first to receive
EAL2/3/4+ certification, IPsec support since 1999 ... etc.
Novell's contributing to a boatload of open source projects.
[... and then I got wrapped up in the presentation.
Check out what Novell is up to these days. It's interesting ...]
Rumor & Innuendo (No names, please)