0 December 2005
Question & Answer Sessions
- What the [expletive] does "free as in beer" mean?
- Free beer as in "beer that is given to you at a party." This is
different from free as in "free speech" or "free to believe what
- <FONT color=green>What</FONT> <FONT color=blue>countries</FONT>
<FONT color=red>have</FONT> <FONT color=green>these</FONT>
<FONT color=blue>colours</FONT>? (Is there a site that allows one
to look up country's flags by color?)
- www.fotw.fivestarflags.com ... or something like that ... the rest
of the answer is left as an exercise to the student.
- Is WPA safe? (It's the successor to WEP, but is it worth it?)
- Yes, for now, if you use a long enough key.
- DVD burner can't see blank media ... what gives?
- This cdrecord/dvdpro (under Linux, I assume). If the media is
cheap, it'll be a problem -- Philips 8X, Memorex, and one that
came with the writer.
The fact that a CD can be written would imply that the connections
and software are working properly.
Try a commercial DVD and see if you can read it. Also, try getting
a DVD written by someone else's computer and see if it'll read that.
- DIV/X portable players?
- A little notebook, perhaps? Check techbargains.com for
possibilities (such as an Apex unit, perhaps, or a Philips DVP-642,
maybe). Searching eBay might prove useful, too.
- Does this dress make John look fat?
- We're not sure ... we're all averting our eyes.
- Drew's got Zaurus issues -- files taking up space, but not visible.
("Files cloaked while mobile.") Any ideas?
- Not enough Zaurus expertise in this room, it seems.
Hmmm ... it may be a problem with different generations of
the ext2 filesystem ... maybe.
- Does anyone know how to color balance an X monitor?
- You can't without writing your own extension. (Why this
wheel hasn't been invented is a matter of the effort involved.)
- Where is everybody?
- Well ... we're here ... and they're there ... so there, mister
Monday-morning quarterback, mister wheelchair general!
And where's MJO and his army of presenters?
- Pull sound annotation from Canon S2 is without ZoomBrowser?
- "You need one of those Philips DVP-642s." -- Chris Polk
Other than suggestions of questionable merit, we don't know.
- Any reasons to use Solaris instead of Windows? (SecureID)
- No obvious suggestions are cropping up -- other than Windows
inability to do things like scripting easily.
When dealing with a Windows zealot, however, logic frequently
doesn't enter into it.
Dave's Vacation Photos
Dave New shows us photos from his stay at Mackinaw Island's Grand Hotel.
This was much more interesting than it might sound.
He's also talking about his Sony Vaio and the really nice LCD screen
Rumor & Innuendo (No names, please)
It's possible there is actually _no_ country with a green, blue, and red.