9 August 2001
Question & Answer Sessions
- Why do we do the questions first and hold off on the answers until
- We rolled SEMiSLUG and local Unsenix into one group, and the
question and answer sessions intimidated new members. Since it
was the answers that tended to intimidate them, we separated
- Who got affected by Code Red? Code Red II? (Or irritated at SirCam?)
- Local ISPs had to field lots of calls, even if though the ISPs
didn't have any WinBoxen. [sigh]
- Anyone know if Media One will stop quashing port 80?
- Rumor has it that it'll be at least a month.
- Does @Home kvetch if you run a VPN to your employer?
- Maybe. No one can get a straight, consisent answer out of them?
- Any truth to the rumor that Ameritech DSL is rolling out DSL repeaters
to spread their evil influence?
- Apparently. SCS Heard that they're willing to do this because
the cable companies are beating up on them 4-1.
- How long before DSL prices go up or DSL is discontinued! (Now that
Ameritech is the only game left in town.)
- Don't worry about it. The cable companies would _love_ to fill
in that void and Ameritech is going to do what they can to keep
- What is the major relevance of "Andrew File System" book to SEMiSLUG?
- Rick Campbell is one of the founders of SEMiSLUG.
- Trident Cyber Blade XP with Linux and XFree86 ... any experience?
- Not really.
Look for "linux on laptops" for a site that has lots of useful
- How do I create a /dev/parport and make it useable?
- "MAKEDEV parport" will create a parport device.
- How do you journal changes to VMware? (Linux is host; Win98 is guest.)
- Visit the VMware web site and their support pages should have
infornation on this.
- Shiva Lan Modem ... anyone got firmware?
- Not even Google knows. Sorry.
Try posting to comp.sys.whatever and see if someone can mail them.
- Microsoft CABS application server running through a firewall ... can it
- Chris Polk (email@example.com) had some good ideas, but I couldn't
type that fast.
- Cheap prices (under $600, quantity 500-1000) on Cisco 3002 VPN clients?
- Try pricewatch.com and see what there is to see.
- Any experience with the Mt. Clemens computer show?
- Nope. Let us know what happens.
- Cheap 4-6Gb IDE drives?
- They're out there.
- Soar Technology is looking for a sys admin for Linux and NT/2000
boxes. Talk to Scott Colcord later.
Troy's always on the prowl.
- Advice on de-scratching a CD?
- Polish it with toothpaste. Really. (So I'm told.)
- Any experience running a Sun Netra (X1 or T1) boxes?
- "They're flat." -- SCS
Give Danno a call. Rumor has it that he's installed hundreds of
- What's the benefits of the ext3 file system?
- It's ext2 with journaling. You should be able to try it, then
back out to ext2 if you don't like it, without too much grief.
- Any one have a parallel port CD ROM drive?
- Check eBay.
`Vi Revealed' with Steve Simmons
Rumor & Innuendo (No names, please)
Scott laid the giraffe. And we all watched.