8 March 2001
Question & Answer Sessions
- Anyone used yast?
- "Yes," says Dave, "it's quite a ball.
It is a new, improved install.
Like the Slackware setup of old,
A joy to see! A joy to hold!"
So if you wan to have a blast,
Do your installs with a yast.
You'll be a winner, not a loozah,
Doing "install all" from SuSE.
- Is this, like, a Dr. Seuss thing?
- Not a Seuss thing, it's a SuSE thing.
- Can a dial-up-network user using Windows access a Windows share behind a
- Windows shares over hight latency connections are bad things.
Okay ... instead, how about: Set up their machines as servers, then
sync up with them.
Use PUtty's pscp and have them copy their local directory to your
- Anyone used Plex86?
- Not really.
- How about bochs?
- WINE - worth using?
- Doesn't work with newer Windows (98/NT). Better off with VMware.
- Best emulator out there so far. Several people running it who feel
that it's well worth the $99.
- "Sticky" groups on dirs under HPUX 10.x used to force new files to have
the dir's group assigned to the new files; under v11.x, this doesn't
work. How do I get it to work again?
- HPUX has its own acls that may be interfering.
- Jobs? (Needed/Have)
- Post 'em to the list.
- Anyone bumped into GECisco?
- They're trying to put ethernet functionality on the factory floor.
- Anyone running a MicroSoft box in the DMZ?
- Aaaiiieeeee! No. Why?
Oh. That's too bad.
No one that we know of is doing this. It's just plain dumb.
- What _is_ It?
- It's Ginger.
- Why do we care?
- It's really cool technology.
- CODA experiences?
- Not really. Could be fun, though. Anyone what to try it out
and do a presentation?
It's supposed to be _very_ tempermental.
- What about AFS?
- It doesn't have all the functionality of CODA.
- Any suggestions for a secure ftpd?
- Skip it until next month.
- Anyone still running old copies of BIND?
- If not, you _really_ need to do this.
- Limiting frequency with which named-xfer runs?
- Upgrade to BIND 9.
No real presentation, but lots of free-form discussion.
Rumor & Innuendo (No names, please)
Several prospects are being lined up for meetins in the near future.