9 September 1999
Question & Answer Sessions
- Is Linux Y2.037K compliant?
- Not yet, but it's coming. They don't want to break a lot of
- Can anyone recommend good documentation for Merit RADIUS?
- Why not use someone else's RADIUS? Talk to Merit or hack the code
- Jobs? (Preferably, not at FoMoCo. Not Bell & Howell, either.)
- If so, talk to Troy.
Becki needs minions, if you know someone looking for entry-level
SCS (firstname.lastname@example.org) is looking for people. The modem services at
UUNET (BIG DAIL) will be expanding and he needs three people for his
staff. More will be needed later.
- Which DSL in the Ypsilanti area?
- No recommendations so far.
- Recommendations for PCMCIA modems? (NO WINMODEMS!)
- Troy's had good luck with his USR. Call you ISP, ask what brand they
use or recommend, then buy it.
- Does the Caldera distribution have S3 Xfree86?
- They've been available for ages, so it would be unusual for it to
not be there. The odds are good, but you'll have to explicitly
install that X server binary.
- Where is Becki? What color will her hair be?
- Right here. Same old, same old.
- NIS and dialup problems?
- Lots of talk, few concrete suggestions.
- Source for inexpensive 2500 series router?
- Used ones are worth almost as much as new ones. Deals are few and
- Xfree86 vs. Xi graphics performance comments?
- Xi picks their benchmarks carefully.
- K6-2 vs. K6-3 vs. K6 performance opinions?
- The bigger the better.
- Windows disassembler?
- The AACS people may have some suggestions.
MJO needs volunteers to do leg work. Right now, he's looking for
old mail or news with complete headers to show that mi.org was in
use back in the 1980's.
Becki Kain: Migrating from a Novell file server to Unix
Currently dealing with NT, Novell, and Unix. Need to convert a
200-300 station shop to use entirely Unix servers. What can be done
to move all of the functionality of the NT and Novell servers to
www.syntax.com has a product that may help.
Rumor & Innuendo (No names, please)
- Sun is going open source with all of their non-VAR products.
- SGI is going to partner with Dell to sell PC's. (As opposed to reselling