SEMiSLUG 12 September 1996
Question and Answer Sessions
- Minutes on the Web?
- Chrysler NeXT extras?
- Nope. Was running NeXTStep on Intel boxes.
- New less?
- Mike's has problems with anything greater than 177.
- Linux: how to mount dos partitions so that non-root have access?
- See mount(2) for uid/gid/mask options.
- Mail-order cell phone sources?
- Pick up a copy of Mobile Office. But mail order doesn't get a commission, so they're more expensive. Ask Mike Wayne if you're not convinced.
- bind or resolve that allows overrides to root servers?
- bind may allow you to specify lots of options for server order. Try hacking resolv.conf
- INN5 - does it exist?
- Yes. Looks like it. MJO has seen a banner, but doesn't know if it's available.
- How do you do remote print spooling from SGI to non-SGI?
- You have to edit /etc/printcap the old fashioned way. The GUI doesn't know about it.
- Print PageMaker for "free"? Or less than $1000?
- Ask your friends to print the files to PostScript.
- Why Java no work for Kevin?
- Firewalls wreak havoc with it at times with multiple part apps. Talk to Netscape people; ask them to fix it.
- Fake unix box into printing via Samba?
- Look at http://www.windows95.com for lpd. It's shareware.
- How do you find the order of the dot-clocks for cardex EXW32? Or any random card?
- Try calling the manufacture or writing to the XFree86 people or visiting http://www.xfree86.org/.
- Cheap PC synch serial cards (128kb, under $100)?
- None mentioned.
- Anyone know of any cheap multi-port ethernets with, oh, four ports per card?
- DEC has them. Ask MJO for what he knows.
- Any jobs available? Sysadmin type work?
- Nothing offered.
- Do you want to drive to Birmingham?
- See Paul Haas for more info.
- How do you complile under Solaris 2.5 to run under 2.4? More to the point, how do you link?
- Well ... you could link libc static. Or write a front-end that recognizes OS version and runs the correct version of the program.
- Does anyone else thing HP's PA8K sucks?
- MJO isn't impressed with it.
- Has anybody tried Netscape v3 with Exchange as the mailer of choice?
- Anyone using Netscape v3 for mail on HP? Is it broken? Is it broken elsewhere?
- Some report problems with it deleting mail from the server. See if movemail is enabled; if so, all the POP3 options are ignored.
- Anyone have bandwidth limiting code for unix?
- Do it with routers ($700 per port). IP quota solutions want lost of cash per ethernet card.
- Who's a good local vendor for RAM?
- Tech Partners or CCS. Not Best Buy.
Neat things on the Net?
The first time people post to certain news groups, they're automatically
being sent the FAQ. See http://www.boutell.com/ for the AutoFAQer.
What's Causing the Net to Melt?
Some feel it's AOL.
Others say Compu$erve.
How to stop melting?
Pay MJO to run a rating service.
Microsoft is trying to swallow the world.
Free Java-esque things on the net: see Chris Dailey knows of three at
the moment. Someone's class project. Grok, a Win32 JIT. Jolt. Jolt
looks neatest. Jolt as a guava-C compiler that will compile Java
programs into class files. 'Cafe' virtual machine; has JIT capability.
Find out more at:
"Jigsaw is nice, Habanero is nice." -- Chad Childers
Rumor and Innuendo (no names, please)
- People are suspiciously quiet this month.